Author Topic: Introduction to Controlling: Websites That Can Help You Better Control!  (Read 1149 times)

Pizza EAS-42oo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
DUE TO OUR IMAGE STORAGE SITE SHUTTING DOWN, WE ARE IN THE PROCESS OF REPLACING ALL OF OUR IMAGES IN ALL OF OUR FORUM POSTS. PLEASE BARE WITH US AS THIS WILL BE A SLOW PROCESS

Hey Guys! Im AsharK over from the EasternHops public teamspeak (easternhops.ts3ip.com) and this will be the first post of a multi post series explaining each concept of being an air traffic
Controller, in depth. Today I will be talking about a few websites that I use on a daily basis and they will definitely help you become a better controller.

Website List:

1.Little Nav Maps Click Here
2. SkyVector (https://skyvector.com/)
3. Aircharts (https://www.aircharts.org/)
4. FlightAware (https://flightaware.com/)
5. AirNav (https://www.airnav.com/)

SkyVector is an amazing site that you should always have open when Controlling.   It will help you quickly get information such as:

1. Type of Airspace
2. Charts
3. Direction of Flight
4. Distance between airports
5. and much more!

When you click on Flight Plan, a window will pop up and you can search for information on two airports and show the distance, route ETC.

When you fill in the fields, you can see the whole route and direction of flight. Also, when you right click an airport, it shows all of the airport charts.

Now, I wanna go over the the different types of Airspace:

Class A Airspace - Over the contiguous United States (including Alaska) between 18,000ft and 60,000ft Mean Sea Level.

Pilot Requirements: Operating under IFR, two-way radio communications with ATC, & Mode C Transponder.

Class B Airspace - Surrounding the busiest airports, Class B airspace is depicted as dark blue rings (on a sectional) around an airport.

Pilot Requirements: IFR or VFR (requires explicit clearance from ATC), two way radio communications with ATC, & Mode C Transponder operating within the "Mode C Veil" (round light red line usually 30dme from a Bravo airport).

Class C Airspace - Surrounding less busier airports, Class C airspace is depicted as dark magenta rings (on a sectional) around an airport. This airspace normally consists of a 10 mile "shelf" and a 5 mile "shelf."

Pilot Requirements: Two-way radio communications with ATC & Mode C Transponder operating within the confines of Charlie Airspace.

Class D Airspace - Surrounding a towered airport, Class D airspace is depicted as a light dashed blue ring (on a sectional) around an airport.

Pilot Requirements: Two-way radio communications with ATC.

Class E Airspace - Surrounding Class B, C, D, and underneath Class A airspace (and above Class G see below); Class E airspace is pretty much "everything else." It is considered controlled airspace but there is no requirements to enter this airspace aside from weather.. Class D airspace changes to Class E airspace when the control tower closes.

Class G Airspace - Uncontrolled airspace. Below Class E airspace, ATC cannot provide services here.

Class Bravo Airspace ^

Class Charlie Airspace ^

Class Delta Airspace ^

Now, one thing that all controllers should know is that if an aircraft is going North or East, their cruise altitude should be ODD (Example: FL330, FL370, 9000) and if an aircraft is going South or West, their cruise altitude should be EVEN (Example: FL320, FL360, 8000) SkyVector is a quick and easy way to check which direction the aircraft is flying, depending on the airports.

The use of FlightAware really depends on the level of knowledge the pilots have. If your pilots know how to fly a full route, this website comes in handy. Otherwise you will not be using it as much as you would use SkyVector. If your pilots fly full routes and during those few circumstances that they have a faulty or unnecessary route that takes them places that they do not need to go (Example: Going from Ohare to Atlanta but instead of going South, they go east and cross KJFK) then FlightAware will come in handy. On FlightAware, you search for real life flights going from one airport to another and you can copy down the route the aircraft is flying and cruise altitude, etc to use for that aircraft.

On the home screen, all you have to do is put in the departure and destination airport and search for flights ^

A List of real life flights will pop up, showing aircraft that are scheduled, enroute, and have arrived. A wise thing to do is instead of picking flights that are scheduled for departure or currently enroute, you want to scroll down and find those that have arrived. When you have found a flight of your choice, click on it.

When you open up that flight, it will give you all of the real world flight information for that particular flight. You want to scroll down and find flight data. From there you can copy the route and altitude.

Next, AirCharts. Now I personally love AirCharts. It's simply, easy to use. The one problem with it though is that it does not have all airports. Such as airports outside of the US. In the case where I cannot find the charts for a airport, I would just go to AirNav or SkyVector and find charts there for the airport I need.

On the home screen, you just want to put in the ICAO code of the airport you want charts for, then click search.

https://gyazo.com/1250cd28b524647e0181ec7a87d236d6

And if everything goes right, you should have all the airport charts. ^ Otherwise sometimes you got to refresh it, and If refreshing the page or searching for the airport still does not give you charts, that means that you will have to find the charts elsewhere, such as SkyVector or AirNav.

Last, but not least, AirNav. Now AirNav is probably the second most useful website that you want to use, aside from SkyVector. AirNav is a type of site where you will one area, for all your information about Airports,  Navaids, Fixes, etc. Instead of having to search all over the internet for information on that one FIX, you can just use AirNav.

On the main screen, you have the choice between Airports, Navaids and Fixes.

If we click on Airports and search for KORD, you will see basically all the information you will ever need for an airport.

Scrolling down, there are tons of information! Also, at the bottom you can see the charts for that airport. A Good alternative to AirCharts if you need all the extra information. Searching for Navaids and Fixes will show similar information, for that particular Navaid or Fix.

That's all for now everyone! I hope this post has helped explain some basic concepts to you all! If you ever have any questions, Please feel free to come onto the EasternHops public Teamspeak (easternhops.ts3ip.com)  and ask me anything you like! I'll see you next time, when we get into some bigger concepts!!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 08:08:37 PM by Pizza EAS-42oo »

you must be logged in to our Forums to get full access. can't login? Need help use the "NEED HELP? LETS CHAT" support on easternhops.com home page or this link https://tawk.to/chat/5931a6214374a471e7c5123f/default  Be sure to leave your email